Thursday, July 1, 2010

Getting acquainted with my families Native past...

Sometime, mainly all the time... I don't know what to write... post or share on my life in and outside the native worlds in Southern California. The words come to mind to write , but by the time I get them down... they have left my head. This time... I'm just going to type it out....
In todays Native world, I'd say that it's alright to be a Native American ... because in the past, it wasn't.
Up until the 70's... that's in my lifetime... we could not gather even for a simple pow wow. The laws to control our tribes were still in place to prevent that. Along with that. prevention to gather,the teachings of our various languages and traditions were not passed properly to the next generations. By no fault of their own... they almost completely lost what the had known what their elders did....This breaks my heart.. but that is what generations like mine have only to work with now....
... Elders like Alvino Siva, Robert Levi.... Biff Andreas , who have seen the old ones sing the proper way are unfortunately not here with us anymore, So those who help keep it going along aren't here to make sure we are doing this correctly. Now, we have to now Practice what we were shown by this generation of elders that retained that important knowledge. Same goes for the Ladies...there maybe something I'm unaware of... when it comes to the ladies traditions ... But I know there is a resurgence of knowledge that the women are Gathering locally here in southern California . Tonita Glover is among those who are keeping things alive out here for the Ladies. Her Entire family is committed to our cultural preservation efforts and programs... I applaud their passion and Love of our Native American Traditions....
As for myself... My goals are simple... for my people...
Get the word out about who we are.....and what we have accomplished and are continuing to move to completion .
They next is become a bird Singer.... that's if its meant to be.....
This is what is going on presently...before, it wasn't that way.

Growing up in East Los Angeles, and Whittier areas... I just knew what the Mexican American people did as they did in their culture. Catholic and Christian influences abroad... In East LA back when I was a young boy in the 70's and 80's, their was not anything within my view that said Native american, Except for the Beautiful Paintings on the Walls and Low Rider cars of an Indian Man Holding a Woman in his arms. That was about the limit to what I knew about what connection my family had to anything Native American. We did not speak Spanish in a city full of spanish speaking people ... this sparked my curiosity, why don't we as a whole Family? Grandma Connie was the only one I knew who spoke and wrote both Spanish and English. ( Later on we will find a photograph with the most evidence of where we came from. ) The feeling of not really belonging to the Mexican, latin peoples... was with me all my young life out in the inner city.
..One time, one of grandmothers neighbors on La Verne "the block".. in East Los... Identified me as an "Indio"...then that was my nickname on the block ever since. Don't get me wrong, I never "Gang Banged" like that... but living within the neighborhoods... I didn't pass judgement. I would say now...Try walking a day in any city NDNs shoes... I'll show you a hell you never forget. You will never come out ahead ... and you never come out with who you started out with... the loss is tragic. Totally not worth giving it any praise... but worth my silence.
... Growing up I heard many people call me a Indian, Native, Hawaiian was the biggest question.. whether I was or wasn't continued on until my own realization...
On my mothers side, early on as a boy... I was being kept away from them... I also remember on of my Beloved aunts sayin I look APACHE...like our family. (Aunt Cynthia) My mom carries the look and the gifts that comes with being an apache woman.
These were just glimpses... of the world that was just a Hint Native...
more to come.... thanks for stopping by

No comments:

Post a Comment